Physicians Academy
Established in December 2006 by the Kashmir Academy Of Private Physicians

Locations of visitors to this page
 
     
 

Table Of Contents Physicians Academy Feb 2018 ( Volume -12 Number -2)

Editorial
  • Illegal Practice in Kashmir

    Due to the three decades of turmoil in Kashmir, most departments have suffered. But the brunt of the damage done is to the medical profession. There have been various factors responsible for the decline in healthcare, including patient care, the morals and the ethics associated with this profession. Lack of accountability is perhaps the main reason. Illegal practitioners of medicine were present before too, but got invigorated in the present dismal scenario.


    Download in pdf   89Kb   
    Sarosh Ahmed Khan, MD; FACP
Article 1
  • The prevalence of Community Acquired Multi-resistance organisms, Urinary Tract Infection in Kashmir, India: a Pilot Study

    Recurrent UTI in the community is the 2nd most common infectious presentation in medical practice. The extensive use of antimicrobial agents has invariably resulted in the development of antibiotic resistance. A prospective multicenter study conducted in patients of all age groups and in both sexes suffering from recurrent urinary tract infections. A total of 125 cases diagnosed clinically and suspected as having MRO recurrent UTI were submitted to microbiological examination. 80% out of 125 patients showed significant growth of uropathogens and the remaining cases 20% showed either insignificant bacteriuria or no growth. Gram-negative organisms were isolated in 90% of positive urine culture.


    Download in pdf   250Kb   
    Mohammad Amin Simbli, MD, MRCP (UK) and Imtiyaz Ahmed Wani, MD; DM
Article 2
  • Fecal Microbiota Transplantation

    Fecal microbiota transplantation is the transfer of stool from a healthy donor into the gastrointestinal tract of a recipient for the purpose of treating recurrent Clostridium difficile colitis. The main aim is to restore the microbiota. The precise mechanisms of FMT in the treatment of Clostridium difficile-associated Disease (CDAD) or C. difficile infection (CDI) remain unclear, but may involve the re-colonization of microbiota with missing components to generate colonization resistance or direct antagonistic activity of the normal microbiota to C. difficile. Unlike the transient use of antibiotics for C. difficile, implanted microbiota may break the cycle of antimicrobial use and prevent future colonization by C. difficile.


    Download in pdf   175Kb   
    Sarosh Ahmed Khan, MD; FACP
Picture of The Month
Drug Update
  • XTANDI® (enzalutamide)

    XTANDI is an androgen receptor inhibitor indicated for the treatment of patients with metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer who have previously received docetaxel. The most common adverse reactions (≥ 5%) are asthenia/fatigue, back pain, diarrhea, arthralgia, hot flush, peripheral edema, musculoskeletal pain, headache etc. XTANDI 160 mg (four 40 mg capsules) administered orally once daily. Avoid strong CYP2C8 inhibitors, as they can increase the plasma exposure to XTANDI.


    Download in pdf   498Kb   
Abstracts from Other Journals
  • Abstracts from Other Journals-February 2018

    Meta-Analysis: Just a Week of NSAID Use Tied to Increased Heart Attack Risk

    BMJ

    Global Influenza Deaths May Be Underestimated

    Lancet

    Moderate Drinking Associated with Structural Brain Changes

    BMJ

    Zika-Related Microcephaly Outcomes at Age 19–24 Months Detailed

    MMWR

    CDC Warns Against Consumption of Dried Placenta Capsules

    MMWR

    Flu Activity on the Rise

    CDC

     


 
 
 
 
 
  Listed in Directory Of Open Access Journals (DOAJ).   ||    Google Scholar   ||    INFOPORT   ||    OAJSE  
  Copyright © 2018 Physicians Academy (ISSN : 0973-998X). All rights reserved.  |   Developed By: DZ International